Iowa’s agricultural economy made the transition to a diversified economy of advanced manufacturing, processing, financial services, information technology, biotechnology, and green energy production. Iowa is the 26th most extensive in land area and the 30th most populous of the 50 United States. Its capital and largest city by population is Des Moines. Iowa has been listed as one of the safest states in which to live. The United States Census Bureau estimates the population of Iowa was 3,123,899. If the economy is measured by gross domestic product, in 2005 Iowa’s GDP was about US $124 billion. If measured by gross state product, for 2005 it was US $113.5 billion. Its per capita income for 2006 was US $23,340.
The approximately 345 employees of the Iowa Department of Agriculture are responsible for a wide range of programs that affect the quality of life of every Iowan. Both Iowans living on the farm and those in our towns and cities are impacted almost daily by the work of the Department. It’s mission is to provide leadership for all aspects of agriculture in Iowa, ensure consumer protection and promote the responsible use of our natural resources.
Choose Iowa™ is a state-identity promotional program designed specifically for Iowa companies whose products are grown, raised, processed or manufactured in Iowa
- Promotes the image of Iowa and the value of Iowa products, people and places.
- Builds a state-identity program to increase awareness and demand for Iowa products.
- Maximizes marketing efforts for Iowa’s ag-based businesses.
- Provides educational opportunities to increase the knowledge and skills of Iowa’s agricultural entrepreneurs.
- Business owner networking.